Top 10 Qualities of a HGV Driver
HGV driving can be a very rewarding and fulfilling job role. At Jayco, we are lucky to have some of the best Class 1 and Class 2 drivers around who work for our clients all over the North East. We have compiled a list of the must have qualities that all Jayco HGV Drivers must possess.
1. Concentration/Alertness – drivers have to spend long periods of time on the road in all conditions, they must be aware of their surroundings at all times. The driver should also be attentive towards the condition of the vehicle in order to reduce the risk of a breakdown.
2. Customer service skills – drivers are expected interact with their employers and the clients they deliver too. They will sometimes have to deal with challenging situations such as a client being unhappy with their order, these must be dealt with in a calm and professional manner. HGV drivers should reflect the brand values of the clients they are representing.
3. Stamina – alongside long driving hours must also have the stamina/fitness to assist with loading and unloading.
4. Ability to work independently – this job requires long hours without any human interaction. Some drivers are also required to be away from family and friends for weeks at a time due to international travel.
5. Safety is always a priority – the rules of the road must be followed at all times. They must be considerate to the danger unsafe driving can cause to themselves and other road users.
6. Reliable – drivers must be responsible and considerate of their load. It must get to the desired location safely and in one piece.
7. Stress Management – dealing with other road users, traffic jams, road works etc can be stressful at times. It is important for drivers to plan their journey thoroughly and take the necessary breaks to reduce stress and tiredness.
8. Organised – deliveries must be made on time. Drivers must keep to a schedule and have good time management skills in order to complete all their delivers.
9. Mechanical Knowledge – although they don’t need to be qualified HGV mechanic. Having the ability to perform basic vehicle maintenance is a great advantage as reduces the risk of a breakdown.
10. Experience – practice makes perfect. The more situations a driver is able to experience the more skills they are able to acquire along the way.
Looking for a new HGV Driver Role?
We also always looking to add to our HGV Class 1 and Class 2team. We supply clients across the North East, we fit the shifts around your availability.If you are based in the North East and have a Class 1 or Class 2 licence, please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
BE THE BEST - HAVE THE BEST
Start browsing jobs with Jayco, find your perfect role.Search Jobs